Monday, February 14, 2011

Gasland response

So last night I went to go see Gasland; I waited till today to respond to let it since in. Know I would consider myself well educated on environmental issues, especially dealing with forms energy. But usually the focus is on coal or oil, or how good solar and turbines are. This movie however is focused on something I feel like is in the background. This is probably because (like the movies said) not much is known because they do not publish the chemicals they use and when something bad happens to come one they pay them to shut up.
Right off the bat my first reaction was, this is not the worlds best cinematography and this guy has a funny voice. But then I thoughts turned to the thought of how the fracking that would effect Josh Fox's home could possible effect my home and the streams I played in as a child. Because I am from Connecticut the fracking effects in New York that spread down could possible miss my stream but the run off would run right into my playground: long island sound.
Okay now back to the movie. Where shall I start? Frozen rabbits? houses bowing up? 'water' lighting on fire? or the lobbyist who try avoid naming the tons of chemicals used...
So this documentary was about the effects around the country of what fracking for natural gas does to the local environment; WATER. Josh Fox went from his home in PA and drove across the country to places like Wyoming and Texas. To see the stories of people who have had drilling for gas near by their house and what it did to their water. I found this a very affective form of proving the point. Being able to listen to a personal account of the sicknesses that came from it or listening to someone tell how their house was blown up made a more emotional impact. Instead of just showing test facts and listing what happened I felt like I got a first account. Another thing that helped the accountability of this documentary was the interviews of scientists and the footage of congress (by far the best part). This gave a reassuring factor to the people's stores: they tell you the emotional part and the scientist tell you that it's true because of x, y and, z.
I like how this film was made from a personal experience and shown though Fox's own drive to research what could happen to his own home. It was amazing, yet sadly not surprising, that all across the country the same story was there yet, nothing was being done. I think when your water lights on fire, and your animals' hair falls out, is when something should be done and then stopped for being done again! Movies/ documentaries like this one have me hope that if everyone saw it then something would happen, but then the whole idea of power and how depend people are on it, I am not sure everything would be moved enough to change. I do hope so. If people would just be conscious of what they do when they do major things like building a house; strap solar panel, or it could be simple as what we have been talking about in class; buy local, use less energy. Buy things that did not make a lot of energy to produce. Maybe every documentary I see will make me have a similar response: empowerment to change what I saw, the hope that people will stand up. Like the cow farmer said in the film, he is not the only one and if people all stand up together things might change. Even if it is just the people who are being hurt by the gas companies; tell others! Warn them so when a gas company come to buy your mineral rights, you know to tell them no. And if another jerk like Cheney wants to take wild life land, ‘for everyone’ and tries to make money off of it by hurting people the maybe there will be enough to stand up and say no! The power is in the people but people with money are trying the hardest to not let anyone know that, or what they are doing.

1 comment: